Register for RNFA training by August 31, 2020 and save up to $900.00 on tuition!
Become a formal RNFA recognized by all 50 State Boards of Nursing
RN First Assistant in Surgery Role
The Association of PeriOperative Registered Nurses (AORN) defines the RNFA as a perioperative registered nurse who works in collaboration with the surgeon and health care team members to achieve optimal patient outcomes. The RNFA must have acquired the necessary knowledge, judgment, and skills specific to the expanded role of RNFA clinical practice. Intraoperatively, the RNFA practices at the direction of the surgeon and does not concurrently function as a scrub nurse. The American College of Surgeons (ACS) in Physicians as Assistants at Surgery 2013 Study states “Registered nurses with specialized training may also function as first assistants.”
The new RN First Assistant (RNFA) Educational Standards by the Association of PeriOperative Registered Nurses came out in December of 2013, requiring the completion of a formal, accredited college, RNFA Program for all perioperative nurses and APRNs practicing in the expanded role of first assistant at surgery.
NIFA®, a Colorado corporation, has partnered with accredited college nursing programs throughout the country to become the nation’s largest trainer of RN First Assistants. Our dynamic programs lead to the CRNFA® and RNAS-C exams (see www.nascertification.com). NIFA RNFA Program has been accepted by CCI since 1998. Add that to our 3 and 5 day SutureStar™ Workshops, and it’s easy to see why out of all RNFA graduates each year, over 75% trained through NIFA.
Eligibility for Registered Nurses
Must be CNOR or CNOR-eligible and obtain CNOR before completion/ Have a current unrestricted RN license/ Hold at least a Bachelor’s Degree in any major/ Be currently working full-time or part-time in perioperative nursing. Call for all the details.
Our One-Of-Kind RNFA SutureStar™ Workshops!
- At three in the morning, in the middle of a complex surgery, a surgeon wants a highly skilled and competent RN First Assistant, not an unprepared student. Mastery of surgical skills is the ultimate measure of a successful RNFA. In the late 90’s, the National Institute of First Assisting (NIFA) recognized this problem and developed training programs for experienced, perioperative Registered Nurses and Nurse Practitioners that raised the bar in RNFA training.
- According to the 2019 AORN Salary Survey, RNFAs receive 18% more. With up to 30 times more hands-on training than other programs, NIFA RNFA program guarantees to have you performing at expert levels before seeing your first patient or we will retrain you, free of charge. It just makes sense that when you add NIFA training to your portfolio, you’ll be even more in demand!
- NIFA is the only RNFA training that offers the following classes, guaranteed to take you to the front of the line:
- Laparoscopic Labs
- Endoscopic Vessel Harvesting (EVH) Labs
- Total Abdominal Hysterectomy (TAH) Labs
- Transverse Colon Resection Labs
- Cesarean Section Labs
- ORIF of the Femur Labs
- Carotid Endarterectomy Labs
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Repair Labs
- RNFA Reimbursement Seminar
See our SutureStar™ Workshops
- Your success as an RNFA is directly commensurate with the amount of hands-on training you receive now. That’s why, since 1997 NIFA’s given this guarantee: you will master the skills of the nation’s top RN First Assistants or we will retrain you free of charge. See the NIFA difference by requesting our new brochure today!